Thursday, April 15, 2010

Strawberries and Cream Dessert Squares


Great for the Spring/Summer season when Strawberries are out. You can use other berries with this recipe though.

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Makes: 20 servings
I got this recipe from Betty Crocker.com
I recommend this for a gathering/get together sort of thing where you won't be bringing any back home with you. It tastes amazing the first day and it tastes good the next day or two but then it starts to get mushy and the strawberries look gross (the guys will eat it happily still).
Crust:
1 pouch (1lb. 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
Filling:
1 cup white vanilla baking chips (6 oz.) **I used soem that had red in them
1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
Topping:
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries **I used 5-6 instead because I just love berries!
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup water
10-12 drops red food color, if desired
***I doubled the sugar, water, cornstarch, strawberry goo mixture. I knew I'd like it better that way. But that's just me.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom only of 15x10x1 or 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter and egg until soft dough dorms. Press evenly in bottom of pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
2. In small microwaveable bowl, microwave baking chips uncovered on High 45-60 seconds or until chops are melted and can be stirred smooth. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Stir in melted chips until blended. Spread mixture over crust. Refrigerate while making topping.
3. In small bowl, crush 1 cup of the strawberries (**I crushed 2 cups instead since I added a cup or two extra and also remember I doubled the cornstarch mixture as well...). In 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in crushed strawberries and 1/3 cup water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in food coloring. Cool 10 minutes. Gently stir in remainging 3 cups strawberries. Sppon topping over filling. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set; serve within 4 hours. Store covered in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment