Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Almost Kings Hawaiian Bread


I made bread two weeks ago to go with the chili I made and my husband said it tasted like King's Hawaiian Bread. He would know since he worked there in CA when he was younger. I decided I ought to share it. King's Hawaiian Bread is extremely tasty so I take that sincere compliment and cherish it even though I don't think the comparison is close.


This recipe is from Cindy Jerabek in Morgantown, WV.


2 pkg. yeast (1 package equals 1 Tbsp)

1/4 cup warm water (NOT HOT)

1 tsp. sugar


3 cups milk

1/2 stick butter or margarine

2/3 cups sugar

1 tbsp. salt

7-10 cups flour


First, in a small bowl, put the warm water in a small bowl. Then add sugar and yeast to that. Stir once then let sit for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.


While the yeast is activating, put milk in a bowl with the butter/margarine and heat it in the microwave. Make sure its warm but not hot.


While the milk mixture is heating--in a large bowl, mix sugar, salt, and half of the flour. When the butter is melted in the microwave and it's warm, yet not hot, pour that mixture into the dry ingredients. Put the yeast mixture in lastly and add a few more cups of the flour. Stir. You will need to add flour until you can handle the dough and knead it without a lot of gooey stuff clinging to your hands. Keep adding a little flour at a time until the dough begins to pull off your hands.


Knead for about 5 minutes.


Grease a bowl. Put bread in the bowl then flip it over (so that the top is lightly greased). Run a thin towel under warm water, wring it out and cover the bowl with it. Let the dough rise for 1 hour.


Punch down bread and let it rise for 1/2 hour longer. (warm up the towel again if you want and cover.)


Grease loaf or roll pans.

Form rolls, loaves or scones, then let rise for another hour. (don't need the towel here)


Bake in 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until brown on top. Then use a smidge of butter and rub it on the tops of the rolls and loaves. Or if making scones, fry them after that last hour of rising.


I love this recipe and this bread! I grew up on it and enjoyed making it for sacrament meeting when I was younger. It has a special place in my heart. I hope you enjoy it too.

1 comment:

  1. Perfect! Thanks so much for sharing Erin! I am excited to try this and see more posts from you. Bring on the holiday cooking everyone!

    ReplyDelete